I love cold pickled fish on a hot summers day but it also goes down well in winter. It is a dish that always reminds me of my gran. Try out this easy Pickled Fish Recipe and let us know what you think.
- 800 g Skinless Hake or Kingklip
- 15 ml Oil
- Seasoned flour (flour with Sea salt and White pepper)
- 6 Bay Leaves
- 4 Onions sliced
- 375 ml Brown Vinegar
- 250 ml Water
- 185 ml Sugar
- 15 ml Turmeric
- 45 ml Curry powder
- 45 ml Corn Flour
- 5 ml Salt
- 10 Mixed Peppercorns
- Cut Hake into large cubes.
- Dust with the seasoned flour and fry in hot oil until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside on absorbent paper.
- Cook onions for 10 minutes in vinegar, water, Bay Leaves, sugar, Turmeric, curry powder, Atlantic Sea and
- Mixed Peppercorns until soft.
- Mix the corn flour with a little water and add to sauce mixture. Stir until well blended. Simmer uncovered until sauce thickens.
- Layer the fish with onion sauce and cover.
- Refrigerate for 1 – 2 days before serving to allow the flavors to develop