An old South African recipe from the Western Cape area. Delicious and really worth making on a winters night. True comfort food!
- 250g dates finely chopped
- 250ml boiling water
- 250ml sugar
- 500ml cake flour
- 2ml salt
- 5ml bicarb
- 125g butter or margarine
- 2 eggs beaten
- 5ml baking powder
- 250ml walnuts/pecan nuts, chopped
- 300ml sugar
- 15ml butter or margarine
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 200ml water
- 125ml brandy
- 1 ml salt
- Divide dates between 2 bowls.
- Add bicarb and boiling water to 1 bowl.
- Mix well and allow to cool.
- Cream margarine/butter and sugar, beat in eggs and mix well.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt and add in to mixture.
- Add the dry portion of dates and nuts, blending well.
- Stir in the bicarb and date mixture, blend well and pour batter into a large greased baking dish.
- Bake at 180 degrees celcius for 40 minutes or until firm.
- Heat sugar, margarine/butter and water for 5 minutes.
- Remove from stove and stir in vanilla essence, salt and brandy.Pour sauce over pudding as soon as it comes out of oven.
- Serve hot or cold with whipped cream.