Moving homes is a stressful time for anyone. You are taken out of your comfort zone and put into a new environment which you need to learn how to call home all over again. Besides getting used to your new home, you still need to get through the actual move! If your move is not carefully planned, it can turn into a complete nightmare.
Packing, Furniture Removal, Bubble Wrap, Newspaper, Boxes… Where do you start?
Well start by calming down. It is not as difficult as you may think. Just follow there few easy steps which will make your move a breeze!
- Start with preparations well in advance. You should know at-least a month in advance that you’ll be moving. So start with your preparations at-least a month in advance.
- A good way to kick off your moving preparations is a good clean-out. De-clutter and get rid of things that you no longer use or need. Don’t move with a whole lot of stuff that needs throwing out.
- Source boxes. You can either collect boxes from supermarkets or simply buy them from boxing companies such as Box-It. Don’t go for the biggest boxes that you can find. Rather use small to medium boxes for ease of handling and transport.
- Start packing items that is not used on a regular basis. Make place for your packed boxes to be stored or put them in a spare room if you have one. Remember to clearly mark the boxes. This will make life so much easier when unpacking.
- Arrange your moving transport early on also. You don’t want to be running around a few days before you move looking for someone to move you. Traditional furniture removal companies tend to be expensive so be clever and contact a truck hire company that offers budget furniture removals.
- As your move draws closer, intensify your packing. Pack up one room as a time and remember to mark the boxes in-case you need to find something that you’ve packed before the move.
- If you have small children, arrange for them to be sent away for the day (to a family member or friends). Not having nagging children around you on moving day will just help the move go faster.
- Once you arrive at your new home, make sure that the boxes are placed in the room where the content of the box belongs.
- Unpack one room at a time and finish unpacking one room at a time. Your new home does not need to be chaotic from the word “Go”. It is a good idea to prioritise your bedrooms and kitchen as you will need food and rest.
- Lastly, don’t procrastinate with the unpacking. Set a goal to have your house unpacked and ready within a day after your move. It may sound like a lot of work, but it will be worth it.
Good luck with your move! If you have any moving tips, please feel free to share them below in the comment section.